Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Eat, Pray, Yawn

I know the following is going to sound like I'm a total travel snob or adventure snob but I am, so there. But this book, Eat, Pray, Love was so annoying to read. And I actually made it through the entire thing. My colleague Kathy is the one that told me I "HAD TO READ IT" because she felt it reminded her of me. ME?! This woman was so nauseating about this or that in Italy, in India, in Indonesia. I wanted to barf. I'm not saying there wasn't anything redeeming about the book but I constantly kept feeling like WHY DOES ANYONE WANT TO READ THIS? Then again, why are you reading THIS? He he. I'm the first to admit that I can talk talk talk about myself but I'm not sure I would have written a book in THIS way. I can't put my finger on what made it dull and annoying to me, but suffice it to say, it made me laugh when I saw this GUY reading it on the platform on his way home this evening.


Without stereotyping it as a chick book, I immediately assumed his girl made him read it to UNDERSTAND her more and possibly nudge him into shaping up or shipping out, considering the character, Liz, leaves her boyfriend for the unknown that she painstakingly describes in 3 "chapters". Save your $16.95 and wait for the movie. Julia Roberts is playing her and I'm sure she'll be better as Elizabeth then Elizabeth is. Gosh I'm mean. But Oprah isn't always right people.

No comments: