Sunday, November 23, 2008

I figured out what I want to do in my next job

I think I will be an investigator with the New York City Public Administrator's Office. The job is such that when someone passes away that lived alone and doesn't seem to have anyone to take care of the arrangements, the investigator might go to the home of the deceased and look around to find any possible connection to family or friends that might want to know that he/she passed or find someone who might be able to arrange a funeral or take some of the belongings. I heard about it on NPR's This American Life ("Home Alone") and I think it's such a special job. The investigator they followed for the story went into this woman's home who had just died in the hospital with no visitors and she read old letters from her husband who was in the service. She discovered when he died and how long it had been. So she was able to follow somewhat of a timeline of a woman she doesn't know but is now assigned to. Very sad but bittersweet as well. Has anyone ever known someone who does this for a living because I'd love to talk to them.

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=346

No comments: